Sunday

Easy does it

Spaghetti Aglio e olio



If you like pasta, there are 3 things you should always have in your kitchen. Spaghetti, a good olive oil and some garlic. Why? Because whenever you don't really feel like cooking but still want to make a tasty and easy meal, these are the only ingredients you”ll need for spaghetti aglio e olio. I do have to say, since this is such an easy recipe with only a few ingredients, make sure you use good quality products. 

            I first ate this pasta dish at an Italian restaurant (with this really ugly interior, given that it's located inside a former Chinese restaurant) close to where my parents live. Since that night, it’s one of my favorite ‘I’m lazy and I don’t feel like cooking (or doing the dishes) but I’d love to eat something nice that doesn’t come in a plastic box or a paper box’-meals.
            Just slowly heat a thin layer of olive oil in a frying pan (the proportion is about 16 spoons to 4 garlic gloves) and in another pan bring water to the boil. Don’t forget to add some salt to it (make sure it’s as salt as the water of the Mediterranean sea). In the meantime, you have to prepare the garlic. According to the Italians, you’re not allowed to slice the garlic or use a garlic press, since it will (badly) change the taste of it. You have to crush the cloves with a fork instead. I must admit, I usually use a garlic press with a few of the cloves and I also slice a few of them. Ai ai ai.

            Add the garlic and let it stew for a couple of minutes. It’s important that they don’t get burned, because that will seriously make them taste bad. Then add four spoons of boiling water from your pasta to it and keep on stirring. Add some salt and pepper and, like I said, if you want it a little bit more spicy just add some hot pepper (oil). Your spaghetti should be ready right now (I prefer it al dente), so put it in together with the garlic oil inside your frying pan and stir it ‘till it’s mixed up nicely. If you like, straw a bit of parmigiano on top of it. Buon appetito!
      (Funny how this post turned out to be a long one after all, since this recipe only takes a few lines.)



No comments:

Post a Comment